Tuesday, June 22, 2010

2010 NBA Draft - Detroit Pistons

With the draft just two days away, there are only 2 picks that I am interested in and those belong to the Detroit Pistons. The Pistons have the 7th pick in the first round and 6th pick in the second round. Honestly, as the person in charge of the draft for them I don't know what I would do.  There are only 4 or 5 guys I would draft with the 7th pick. Both John Wall and Evan Turner will definitely be gone before they pick, again leaving me undecided who I would select.

Ideally, the Pistons need a point guard that can direct the offense and distribute the ball, and a center that can both rebound and score. There isn't a point guard after Wall that would deserve to be the 7th overall pick, in my estimation. The only center that could help here would be DeMarcus Cousins, but I wouldn't trade up to acquire him. If he falls yes I would take him otherwise I would trade down or out of the first round.

What I want from a player selected at the 7th pick is an ability to come in and contribute right away. He may not be the starter from the beginning, but at some point he must move into that role. The weight of the franchise need not be on his young shoulders, but he has to have the will to win from the outset. He must make the team better when he is on the floor, and carry himself with class off the floor. If there isn't a guy that fits that criteria, then trade down or out of the first round.

Depending on the selection in the first round, in the second I would have my eye on Jerome Jordan. He seems to be a project that could be a serviceable big man with upside.

Just something to think about two days from the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment